BMW Key Replacement
- Available 7 days a Week from 08:00 – 22:00
- Emergency Mobile Callout Available
- Call Us for a Quote, or Request a Quote Online
- See Below for BMW Key Advice and Range of Models Serviced
A broken or lost BMW car key can be a considerable inconvenience at any time. With Car Keys Solutions, you will find that our exceptional mobile BMW car key replacement service can solve any issues that you may have. Whether your key has broken in the ignition, or you’ve lost your car key, our trained and experienced technicians will be with you in under an hour to ensure that you’re back on the road in no time at all!
WHAT SHOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT BMW CAR KEYS?
- BMW cars manufactured after 1995 have an anti-theft system. The car engine cannot be turned on unless the immobiliser control unit recognises the correctly programmed transponder BMW key.
- The purpose of the transponder chip in BMW keys was for anti-theft / security precautions, which helped to protect BMW cars from being started through just a mechanical copy of the BMW key.
- BMWs are known to have used a few types of transponder immobiliser chips, and few evolutions of the key fob, over the years.
- Having a spare BMW key cut and programmed when there still is one functional will save time and money in the long run. If, for instance, the only key gets lost, stolen, or is damaged.
- Buying your BMW key replacement from a dealer is to be more expensive and time-consuming. You may need to arrange for your car recovery if you have lost all keys, and BMW keys have to be ordered by chassis number – meaning the wait time could be as long as five days.
- BMW remote keys used with E series vehicles – they cannot be opened or have the BMW remote battery replaced. They have a rechargeable accumulator that lasts long.
- All BMW remote keys have an emergency blade that is used to unlock the vehicle in the event the electrical fob doesn’t work. Even though they are not visible, the BMW emergency blade slides out from within the remote fob housing by pressing the release button.
- A BMW key already programmed on one car cannot be reprogrammed again. All BMW keys are one-time programming only.
- BMW keys from F and G series are all built with keyless technology without exception, and on all of those remotes, batteries are replaceable.
What BMW Car Key Services Do We Provide?
Lost Or Broken BMW Key Replacement
If you have lost or broken your BMW key, and you need replacement, then we can provide you with a brand new set in as little as 1 hour, while you wait. No need to worry about towing your car to a dealer, or having to wait five working days to get back on the road again. We will come to you as soon as you need us.
BMW Spare Keys
If your BMW was second hand, or you only have one key to start the engine and require a BMW spare key, we can carry out quick and efficient car key duplication. It’s always more useful to have a duplicate of your BMW car key in case one of them gets broken or lost in the future.
Do you have a spare key for your BMW?
BMW Key Programming
If you have a BMW model is built after 1995, then your BMW key will have a transponder chip and a remote, and both parts will require programming to operate. Here at Car Keys Solutions, we cover most BMW’s when it comes to car key programming. Sometimes, the BMW fob can become desynchronised and restore operation, and then the remote needs reprogramming to the car. This procedure involves a sequence of pressing remote buttons and ignition cycled on/off and is detailed below:
How to program a BMW remote car key procedure:
Note: Step 1 needs repeating if the process fails since some BMW’s require ignition cycled a further three times.
1- Turn the ignition to position one and then turn it back off within five seconds.
2- Then remove the key from the ignition switch, press, and hold the unlock button.
3- Press the key lock button three times within five seconds.
4- Then, release both buttons.
5- The car doors will then lock and unlock to show the right procedure during programming has taken place.
All vehicle remotes will need programming at the same time. Remotes that are not will stop operating, and they will require reprogramming.
At Car Keys Solutions, we program BMW replacement keys for 99% of BMWs on the road.
If you locked your keys inside your car and need your BMW unlocked, we can provide you with a BMW locksmith who can access your vehicle and retrieve the keys without leaving a scratch.
BMW Key Repair
If your BMW key has snapped, cracked, or the remote stopped operating, you may find that we can repair it rather than replace the set. If you have broken your BMW key and needs fixing, our dedicated BMW locksmith technicians can recondition it on-site. We repair BMW remote keys when the accumulator is faulty, remote buttons not operating central locking, or casing is worn out. Remote repair service is saving you the cost of a new BMW key.
Door Lock Repair/Ignition Barrel Repair
You may find yourself having problems with your door lock or ignition barrel, which may need fixing. Our mobile BMW technicians use the latest equipment to effectively repair BMW car locks and ignition barrels, at your location.
Tip: If the central locking function used by the operation of the key in the BMW door barrel over a long time, the barrel will fail. The BMW remote function should be restored as quickly as possible, leaving the door lock usage as an emergency alternative to open the BMW.
MOST COMMON BMW KEYS
- BMW 5 series 1999 2003
- BMW 3 series 1999 2005
- BMW 7 series 1994 2001
- This is the first BMW 3 button Diamond shape head remote key fob that has one of the most secure ignition blades.
- Vehicles equipped with this type of blade are very difficult to cut a key for when there is no original key present. This is because this BMW key has cuts on the outside of the blade, and this type of lock pattern is very difficult to be decoded.
- This key is similar to the newer one in overall shape and functionality, and is operated via the central locking system. It also handles boot opening at the press of the buttons, and starting the engine is enabled by turning the key into the ignition barrel.
- BMW 3 series 1999 2005
- BMW X5 1999 2006
- BMW X3 2003 2011
- BMW 5 series 2003 2007
- BMW 6 series 2003 2006
- BMW Z series 2002 2008
- This is the 3 button Diamond shape head BMW remote key fob that features a laser blade as it is called because the key has the cuts inside the blade leaving the sides straight.
- These diamond shape BMW keys feature an accumulator and charge up by being used in the ignition – so if you have a spare key, make sure from time to time that you swap over the keys both are always fully charged. Otherwise, the remote will stop operating if a key is left unused for a long time
- If the central locking function is activated by operation of the key in the BMW door barrel over a long period of time, the barrel will fail – so it’s advisable that the BMW remote function is restored as quickly as possible, leaving the door lock usage as an emergency alternative to open the BMW and not for common daily use.
- If the BMW remote key still operates in a way that it emits a signal but not operate the central locking, or the existing remote had a new battery/ accumulator, then the remote will need to be re-synchronised. This is a procedure explained earlier in the page under ‘BMW remote key programming procedure’.
- BMW 1 series 2005 2011
- BMW 3 series 2005 2012
- BMW 5 series 2005 2010
- BMW 6 series 2007 2010
- BMW X series 2006 2013
- BMW Z series 2009 2016
This is the first BMW dash remote key fob with three buttons that is equipped on the above models. The same key design has been used with keyless technology or non keyless where the key has to be inserted into a dash slot to enable engine start across the same range of vehicles.
- If you’re unable to open the vehicle by pressing the remote, there is an emergency blade hidden inside the key that will allow you mechanically to open the vehicle. All you need to do is press the button on the end of the remote key and at the same time pull emergency blade out.
- These keys also feature an accumulator and charge up by being used in the ignition – so if you have a spare key, make sure from time to time that you swap over the keys both are always fully charged. Otherwise, the remote will stop operating if a key is left unused for long.
- If your remote is not operating or the keyless function has stopped, it could be that the remote battery has gone down. Replacement of your remote key battery is not possible on these keys as they are sealed. However, at Car Keys Solutions we can open and replace the key battery, so if you require assistance call Car Keys Solutions and we’ll assist you. If you’re local you can also visit us on our Car Keys Workshop in East Finchley, London.
- A common reason for the remote key not working or operating the central locking on BMW estate cars is caused by the antenna on the tailgate. This can suffer from water ingress or broken wires on the tailgate hinges where wiring runs from the body to the tailgate.
- BMW cars equipped with a certain type of remote key were identified as being vulnerable theft as a result of a weak immobiliser protocol. Over the years, software updates were released by BMW to protect better against BMW car theft. However, there are still BMW cars on the road likely to be affected, so if you want to find out how you can improve your BMW security system visit out theft protection page or contact us for more details.
- BMW 7 Series 2001 2008
This is the BMW dash remote key fob that comes with BMW 7 Series models from 2011 to 2008. This key operates the central locking and boot opening function at the press of a button. Here at Car Keys Solutions we replace and program this BMW key fob and also cut the emergency blades on a same day service.
- BMW 1 series 2011 2019
- BMW 2 series 2013 2019
- BMW 3 series 2011 2019
- BMW 4 series 2013 2019
- BMW 5 series 2009 2019
- BMW 6 series 2012 2019
- BMW 7 series 2008 2015
- BMW X series 2008 2019
- BMW X3 2011 2017
- BMW X4 2014 2018
- BMW X5 2013 2018
- BMW X6 2014 2019
This is the first BMW remote key with keyless technology used by BMW on F series vehicles, and was first used in 2009 on the BMW 5 series. This key operates central locking and boot opening function at the press of a button, and where keyless entry technology is equipped on the vehicle, the vehicle will lock and unlock by touching or pulling door handle of the BMW if the keyless remote key is in near proximity of the vehicle.
Engine start is enabled by the presence of the key inside the vehicle. Here at Car Keys Solutions we replace and program this type of remote and also cut the emergency blade on a same day service. Please note, very few models may demand a special order by your vehicle vin number.
- BMW 3 series 2019 2019
- BMW 5 series 2017 2019
- BMW 6 series 2017 2019
- BMW 7 series 2015 2019
- BMW 8 series 2018 2019
- BMW Z series 2018 2019
This is the updated BMW remote key with keyless technology used by BMW on F and G series vehicles – it was first used in 2015 on the BMW F series. As with the previous BMW keyless remote key, this one operates central locking and boot functions at the press of the buttons, and where keyless entry technology is equipped on the vehicle, then the vehicle will lock and unlock by touching or pulling door handle of the BMW if the keyless remote key is in near proximity of the vehicle. Starting is enabled by the presence of the key inside the vehicle. Here at Car Keys Solutions we replace and program this type of remote and also cut the emergency blade on same day service. Please note, very few models may demand a special order by your vehicle vin number.
Important to know about BMW keys from 2009 - onwards
- These BMW keyless keys are at high risk of being cloned by criminals to steal the BMW cars. Find what you can do to keep your BMW protected and how you can improve the security and stay ahead of theft risk on our theft protection page or call us.
- If your remote key has become defective and can no longer operate the central locking or key not detected is shown on your BMW then you can try to start your engine by holding the remote key by the steering column on the plastic housing where the BMW has an antenna that it will read the immobiliser transponder of your BMW keyless remote key and successfully will authorise starting.
- If unable to open the vehicle by pressing the remote key buttons, there is an emergency blade hidden inside the key that will allow you mechanically to open the car.
- If your remote is not operating or the keyless function has stopped, it could be that remote battery has gone down. Replacement of your BMW key battery is usually a DIY job, and if you require assistance, call Car Keys Solutions, and we’ll assist you.
- Attention!!! Operating just the boot opening remote function will enable boot opening for a 1-minute maximum, after which time it will relock. We have seen situations where, after the boot was open, and the key was dropped in the boot together with the luggage, and then boot was closed, this locked out automatically. In this situation, an auto locksmith is required to unlock the vehicle, therefore always pay attention when opening just the boot – do not drop the remote key inside with shopping and then close the boot, or you’ll be locked out and in need of an auto locksmith to unlock the car.
What If I Need A Replacement BMW Car Key?
All you have to do to get a replacement BMW key fob is give us a call. Our emergency team will aim to be with you within an hour, depending on your location. As soon as you call, a BMW locksmith specialized in replacing BMW car keys will be dispatched to you. We never compromise on quality, and so all of our vans and technicians will carry the latest diagnostic equipment on-board. We will carry out any work on your vehicle to the highest possible standard, and will not leave a scratch. Cars manufactured after 1995 have an electronic immobiliser fitted. Our technicians will need to obtain the immobiliser’s data by removing the control unit, which they will do efficiently, without damaging your car. Once done, they will cut a new key blade using the hi-tech, expert equipment already located in our vans, and will program your new key to your specific car.
When you require a BMW replacement key or BMW auto locksmith services, contact us with your vehicle details, location, and we’ll get you an exact estimate.
If you want to find out more about the emergency BMW key replacement service that we provide, or you want to talk to a BMW car keys specialist to provide you with a replacement for your broken or lost car key, contact us today.